READING NATURALLY CHALLENGE
Reading comes naturally, right, so why not read something natural? The categories are intentionally broad and numerous, and both fiction and non-fiction are eligible. All genres are eligible, too, so everything from a camping how-to book to a Harlequin romance can qualify! Reading outdoors is highly recommended, but optional.
Even if you're not outdoorsy, you'll find something to suit you. That's the point, actually: Nature is everywhere, around us and within us. After all, as Wendell Berry says, "The earth is what we all have in common"--but there are many good ways to approach that.
1. Join anytime before December 1, 2018. The challenge ends at midnight EST on December 31, 2018.
2. Choose your reading level:
Exposed to Nature: Read 1 to 3 books
Engaged with Nature: Read 4 to 6 books
Immersed in Nature: Read 7 or more books
3. Choose from these categories (one book per category, fiction or non-fiction, any genre):
*Classic: written by Rachel Carson, Henry David Thoreau, Aldo Leopold, Gary Snyder, or another giant in the field
*Outdoors Gear on the Cover: backpack, snowshoes, snorkel and fins, etc.
*Animal or Bird Related
*Current Issue: climate change, biodiversity loss, etc.
*New: published in 2017 or 2018
*Dystopia Flavored: emphasizing future consequences
*Extreme Element: sailing around the world, mountain climbing, etc.
*Set in a Wilderness Locale
*Spiritual: emphasizing connection
*Skills Related: how to camp, kayak, survive in the woods, etc.
*Advocacy Related: speaking up for nature
*Biography or Memoir of an Environmentalist or Conservationist: Jacques Cousteau, Jane Goodall, Teddy Roosevelt, or another nature advocate
*Orion Book Award winner or finalist: any year, any subject (2016 winners here, earlier winners here)
4. Books may come from your TBR pile or list, but they don’t have to.
5. Overlaps with other challenges are allowed and encouraged.
6. Change your list at any time.
7. Reviews and reactions are encouraged, but you don’t need a blog to participate.
8. Progress will be tracked at a “Progress & Reviews page” in the sidebar.
9. Please pass the word about this challenge! A sign-up post on your blog would be excellent. Feel free to borrow the button for display, too.
When you meet your reading goal, you'll receive a small, fun, nature-related prize personally selected for you!
On January 15, 2019, all the readers who've met their goals in each category will be entered into a drawing for a prize package combining bookish and outdoorsy interests. The prize package will include, among other things, an Orion Book Award winner or finalist of your choice. What could be nicer?
So, are you in? If so, sign up below by leaving a message in the comments with your list or a link.